Fire Safety

  • Upon arrival, please take time to familiarise yourself with the layout and work out how you would exit the house in an emergency. We recommend keeping the key in the back door, so you know where it is, and placing the front door key in the bowl on the table in the hall, again so you know where it is in an emergency.

  • A Fire Risk Assessment was carried out in September 2023.

  • There is strictly no smoking inside the house. A wall mounted ashtray is located in the garden.

  • Do not light candles or tealights of any kind, or other lamps using combustable fuel.

  • Please don’t leave charging batteries unattended in the house, and always charge on a non-flammable surface such as the slate hearth in the front room.

  • Please don’t deep fry in oil – the Ninja Foodi is an air fryer and doesn’t require more than a teaspoon of oil per load of chips – they will come out tasting deep fried.

  • Lighting a fire using the log burner can be tricky and takes a little practice. It looks good but frankly the central heating is far more effective for keeping you warm. If you want to use the log burner, make sure you know what you are doing, use the correct eco wood firestarters (not the kerosene type that are a hazard in their own right or newspaper), kindling, and totally dry seasoned logs, stack it correctly, light, and operate the vents correctly. Never leave a lit fire unattended – closing all the vents tightly to starve the fire of oxygen is the quickest way to put it out. Ensure ashes are removed only when stone cold – there is a bucket in the basement to avoid spillage. Your hands will probably get filthy too – we wear gloves.

  • There are smoke alarms on the ground, first and attic floors – please do not disable them. In the event of a fire please leave the house via the front or back doors and call the fire brigade first before letting us know. There is also a carbon monoxide detector in the front room – if that goes off please be aware that it doesn’t indicate a fire but the room should be ventilated quickly. There are fire emergency torches in each bedroom that must only be used in the event of a fire and loss of power. Please do not move them or use them for any other purpose.

  • There is a fire blanket in the kitchen for cooker fires. There are multi-purpose fire extinguishers on the ground and first floors. Please do not allow children to touch or play with the fire extinguishers as accidentally operating them could cause injury to the person and damage to the property. You are obviously only going to use an extinguisher as a last resort where you have no other option but we must advise that the powder may cause a sudden reduction of visibility and can also impair breathing, which could temporarily jeopardize escape, rescue or other emergency action. Where possible stand between the fire and your exit route, and cover your mouth and nose when discharging.